Sunday, January 31, 2010

January Favorites ♥




In the month of January, I really enjoyed using:

♥ Clinique 3-Step System -- My Clinique 3-step system includes the liquid facial soap for oily skin, clarifying toner in #3, and the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel that's suitable for oily and combination skin. After using this simple skincare system for about a month, my skin loves it! The face wash lightly foams, cleans my face well yet doesn't leave the skin feeling tight afterwards. It doesn't contain any strong fragrance, which I love. The toner has a strong witch hazel scent to it, so it might need some getting used to if you've never smelled witch hazel before. But it doesn't bother me much. Keep in mind this toner does contain alcohol, which might be too drying for some people. However they do have an alcohol free version (that the bf uses for his dry skin), so you can always choose that one over the one I have. I like how my toner comes with a pump, which makes it a lot easier and quicker to use. The moisturizing gel is super light and non-greasy. It absorbs very quickly into my skin. It completely changed my mind about the moisturizer. I've tried their lotion version before, and hated how greasy and heavy it felt. But this gel has a  very smooth and light consistency. After reading various reviews about the Clinique 3-step system, it seems like it has worked for many people, but also failed on many others. My opinion is, everyone's skin is different, you will never know if it works for you until you try it. Also, getting the correct ones for your skin type is very important. I am lucky that I found the system to work wonderfully with my skin!

Victoria's Secret Garden Ultra Softening Body Butter -- This body butter applies like a dream. It has a whipped consistency that just quickly melts into the skin, and is non-greasy and not sticky at all. It comes in many scents, my favorite is Sweet Daydream, which is such a sweet and nice scent. The scent might come strong for some people at first, but it goes away very quickly. I usually apply it after shower every night, while my skin is still moist. I slather it all over my body to help lock the moisture in. Since it is the winter right now, I find myself using a lot of it every night. So much that I finished one jar in just a month! This shows how much I love this body butter. I even apply it to my feet and hands. While Korres body butter is still my #1 and most favorite, the VS one is something that I would keep buying and having a few extras stocked up because it is a much more economical choice. Sometimes VS has the entire Secret Garden line on sale for 8/$35, so be sure to stock up then!

Kevin Beautymaker BeautyHair Thickness Supporter -- I bought this product last fall to help volumize my fine, limpy hair for those big hair days. It comes in a spray bottle, and you simply spray some products at the roots, massage in with your fingers to lift the hair up. When I first tried it, it would work only for a short while. I got disappointed with the product and it has been sitting on my countertop every since. But recently I decided to give it another try. I am loving the result this time! It gives my hair a very volumized look for hours (I set it with some hair spray after). Perhaps the first time I tried it, it was during the most hot ahd humid months (August to September). Now that the weather is cooler, my hair probably doesn't get as oily fast, which would weight down my hair. Who knows, I am just glad this product works now and didn't go to waste. This shows us that sometimes when a product doesn't seem so great, give it a rest and pick it up again after a while, and see if your opinion would change, instead of throwing it in the trash right away.


NARS Orgasm/Laguna Blush Bronzer Duo -- Laguna bronzer was my favorite bronzer to use in November, and it still is!  It's my perfect contouring shade. Nowadays I find myself using this compact a lot, I just apply the bronzer in the hollows of my cheeks, and then the Orgasm blush on the apples of my cheeks and extend it upwards towards my temple for that natural glow. Some of you asked me before whether if the Orgasm blush is too shimmery on my face, I find that a light hand does the trick. The shimmers are really fine to look obvious anyway. 


♥ NARS Concealer Duo in Custard/Ginger -- Love the creamy consistency, which makes it really easy to blend into my skin. But it doesn't crease much, which is awesome! The shades suit my skin tone very well. I use the lighter color for under eyes, and the darker shade for the rest of my face to cover up any blemishes. Thank you bf :)

♥ La Mer the Powder -- The perfect setting powder. I will never go back to another loose powder :) I am glad it comes in a big jar, so it will last me a very long time! I chose the shade Neutral, which is a matte shade. I know a popular one to have is the shimmery translucent shade, but I was afraid that it would be too sparkly on my already oily face. Neutral looks great on me, and gives me a clean, polished finish. Its texture is extremely light. I've experimented with applying 3 or 4 coats on my cheeks, and it still didn't cake up! Best of all, it doesn't feel heavy, so it doesn't make you feel like you have powder on! It also does a pretty good job at keeping my oilys at bay for at least a few hours.

19 comments:

  1. Ooh now I'm interested in the Body Butter from Victoria's Secrets. I love it when they have amazing sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always wanted to try the Clinique 3-step system, glad to know that it works for you :)
    i never know Beautymaker has hair product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The La Mer powder is on my shopping list! It's a pretty OK price for the amount (and the brand), and MUA gals seem to like it too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I think I am the only one who hasn't tried NARS Orgasm!So jealous you got the NARS concealor, I went to sephora when they were having their $10 deals, but they said they literally ran out that morning. BOO! One day I'll get my hands on a La Mer product.... one day. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Lulu! Awesome list of products! I'm especially interested in the La Mer powder now, hehe... but I haven't seen this product in any shop here in Austria. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love reading monthly favorites! the vs body butter and la mer cream sounds so dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The La Mer powder sounds wonderful. I hope to try it someday. Happy Sunday, Lulu! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. the la mer powder sounds perfect!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spy a NYC HK dolly :) I wonder when she snuck in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clinique 3-step is a Make or Break, either it works really well (on me too) or it just doesn't! Glad you like it as much as I do :)

    that's a nice favorite list for January!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing Lulu, you got me really curious about the La Mer powder :) I might go to the counter and check it out one day, although I'm not oily anymore but I think this looks like a nice powder

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm I have laguna too but I neglect it XD I think I might have tried it like 2x.. maybe I should revisit it LOL

    Thanks for the mini review on all the stuff. I think your review on the orgasm blush helped since some people's dislikes have deterred me from buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm lemming for clinique 3 steps. Thinking to change my skincare after i finished up all my current one! i like every month favorite post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, you're on top of things! Great list. =) I sadly am not loving my NARS Orgasm lol. I swatched it against a bunch of other NARS and most of my own blushes last night and it's really frosty in comparison... I think that's what I don't like about it. Plus, I like my blush to show up! I am using a light hand but the shimmer is still to much if I want the color to show LOL. I think maybe I'm darker than you. It's almost exactly the same color as Laura Mercier Orange Blossom except Orange Blossom is a tad more peachy, less pink (just barely though) and it has more pigment per shimmer and a more pearlized finish than Orgasm. I'll do a comparison soon. Glad I got Orgasm in swap though... I'm trying to swap it for Deep Throat, which is basically the same color but less frosty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha...yep, it doubled! *feels like a dork*

    Girl, kudos to you for being on your 3rd day of cheap ear training! XD

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so tempted to try out the NARS concealer! Thank you for listing it in your January favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for letting me your diet :) for me this is not really a tip cos it's really hard to control, I try to restrict my carb intake, so at dinner sometimes I don't eat rice I just keep on munching on vegetable. I used to be able to loose 0.5 kg a day just by doing that but ever since the baby i couldn't loose weight that easy anymore, so sometimes I restrict my breakfast and lunch... there's no trick to diet, the only thing is DON'T EAT... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great favorites list! I'm lemming that La Mer powder, I want to try it after reading all these great reviews on it. Those Victoria's Secret Body Butter's are addicting, I love all the scents!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL you were NOT joking when you said that you went a little spending crazy recently!! hahaha I love everything that you bought. I'm actually envious. :]

    ReplyDelete