Monday, February 8, 2010

Bring it on, glitter nails!

I have a confession to make: I looooove glittery nail polishes, but I used hate wearing them on my nails. Why? because they are wayyy harder to remove than a polish without any glitters. For some reason, all the little glitters never want to part with my nails. No matter how long and how hard I wipe and smudge my nail-polish-remover-soaked-cotton-ball on my nails, they won't budge. It is very frustrating!

But now, I am happy to say, I love wearing glittery nail polish again! All thanks to this little product -- ONYX Professional 100% pure acetone nail polish remover.


I was wandering through the aisles in Walmart when this tiny bottle caught my eyes -- on the bottle it specifically stated to "quickly remove nail glue and glitters", just what I am in need for! Plus for only a dollar, I figured there was nothing to lose.

To my surprise, it worked wonders at removing the glitters on my nails! However, this product contains 100% acetone and can be very drying and thus damaging to natural nails. So I only recommend using this once in a while only for those stubborn nail polishes or glitters that are hard to remove. Any of the 100% pure acetone nail polish removers from whichever drug store you can find should work, not necessarily this particular brand.

I also heard using a felt cloth helps removing those glitters like magic, but I have yet to try that myself.


Normally, I use the Sally Hansen Fast and Gentle polish remover for removing non-glitter nail polishes. The formula contains vitamin E and aloe, and is not as harsh to the nails, especially if you are like me and change polishes very frequently. You could also find this or similar products from any drugstores.

16 comments:

  1. Hey, Lulu......How r u?

    I also hate it that it's too difficult to remove glittery nail polishes....I didn't know acetone would do the job.....I have to get one now....I used to remove my nailpolishes with acetone I just hate it when it eveporates that's why I stopped using it...but I think I need it now....so much glittery nail polishes to use....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lulu! I saw this 100% pure acetone product at Wal-Mart too, but I was reluctant to try it, because I was afraid it would be too drying for my nails... but I have the same problem as you when it comes to removing glittery nail polish xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the product rec! I've been looking for something to remove glitter easier! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that sally hansen moisturizing one and i love it!!! I have beome so obsessed with nail polishes now bc i am in the process of learning not to bite my nails. im so happy! have any rec' to buy opi nail polishes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Lulu! I live so far from an ULTA. it sucks. I only have a Sephora nearby. Totally unfair. Thanks for telling me how to make it a deal as well. I hope I'll hit up an Ulta in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. using felt totally works - Cat/MochiStrawberry mentioned it in one of her posts, but the felt basically "grabs" the glitter. Right now I just soak a cotton pad with nail polish remover and press it to my nail for 10-20 seconds...most of the polish wipes off and whatever's left is easy to remove :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate wearing glitter nail polishes for the same reason! Thanks for letting us know about the remover, glitter polishes here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remembered that I bougth the Onyx remover at Walmart too! >_< But I have yet to use it =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try the felt! It seriously works! Also, for rhinestones, swishing around in that um... spongy jar thing is amazing!! It's not as good for serious glitters or flakies but it takes off most polishes and rhinestones in like 10-20 seconds. AND I can surf the internet with my other hand in the meantime LOL. Makes my OCD very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the difference between acetone polish removers and non acetone? I never fully understood. I really liked Essie's natural polish remover but my Ulta stopped carrying it so I'm using OPI's

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to love glitter nail polish but now I love cream polish better. I think glitter one is ruining my nails, making the surface very rough and uneven, I buffered and buffered for whole day... ahhhh
    and I'm pretty sure that all nail polish remover is really harsh. My fingers feel like almost tear off after i removing all my nail polish. So it has been almost a month that I'm into no nail polish. haha, but perhaps tomorrow I will putting them on again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing! glitter nail polish is always SO hard to scrub off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY!! I use ONYX too to remove glittery nail polish and you are right, they are so hard to remove with a regular acetone. ☹

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh thanks for sharing! Hopefully I will see this the next time I go to Walmart! Neutral and glitter nail polish are the only things I wear hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tip on using the pure acetone for glitter! Good to know I won't have to struggle anymore...hehe. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love glitter nail polish too and I agree they are a PIA to remove! It's good advice to say to use pure acetone only for stubborn polishes because they are drying. I like the tub nail polish removers for glitter because they have rubber scrappers in them to help remove glitter. I got one from Target (Studio Tools line). :)

    ReplyDelete