Friday, February 12, 2010

Softer Lips and Brighter Eyes

If you read my Monthly Favorite posts, you'd know that I often rave about Softlips SPF 20 Conditioning  Lip Balms. It has been my daily staple for a long time, and I know I will continue to use it for years to come. It is an essential part of my morning routine to apply a lip balm to prevent dry lips and protect from sun exposure.  This lip balm does exactly what I need. Softlips lip balms come in a variety of flavors. Usually I stick with the vanilla scented one.


I was contacted by Ms. Nicole Egan a while ago to try out more varieties of Softlips lip balms, such as their limited edition seasonal flavors, and from their organic PURE line.

The Softlips SPF 20 Conditioning Lip Balm come in about a dozen of different yummy flavors to suit everyone's preference. Such as strawberry, mint with a hint of vanilla, peach mango, coconut cream, sugar cookie, sugar plum berry, etc.

The Softlips PURE line is a "line of premium organic lip conditioners designed with skin-conditioning ingredients to help keep lips soft, supple, and healthy". These products contain no animal by-products and is not tested on animals! My favorite flavor from this line is the honeydew flavor. They also have pomegranate, peppermint, acia berry, papaya, and chai tea flavors. Personally I think these PURE lip balm consistencies are a tad dryer than the ones with SPF, but it also does not feel heavy or waxy on the lips.

They claim to "provide a smooth feeling on the lips and is sensually pleasing with light flavors. They combine effective lip protection with SPF 20 and moisturizing emollients with a sheer glossing effect, making them perfect for natural lips or for adding protection/moisturizing over or under lipstick." How I use these lip balms is to apply a thin layer on my lips even before I put on foundation or any makeup on my face, so my lips will be soft, moisturized, and ready for lipstick or lip gloss application later on. Then throughout the day, I will reapply the lip balm whenever my lips feel dry.

What I like about Softlips lip balms:
♥ yummy flavors.
♥ SPF ones offer protection from the sun.
♥ makes lip look healthy and moist, without the waxy and sticky feeling.
♥ slim packaging makes it easy to store and carry around.
♥ widely available in most drugstores.
♥ affordable (suggested retail of $2.99 to $3.99 for dual-stick packs for the SPF line, and $2.99 for PURE organic sticks)

While this lip balm might not be moisturizing enough as a rich night time lip treatment, it is a good choice for during the day. The thin tube also makes it easy to control and apply on the lips without the need of a mirror, because you won't have to worry about the product getting outside of the lips. Some people might be unfortunately allergic to SPF in their lip products, but you can certainly give the organic PURE range a try as these do not contain SPF.


Nicole also kindly sent me some Rohto eye drops to try out. These are the minty eye drops that I have mentioned in a haul post before. I had the one in Rohto cool (in green packaging), and have been using it frequently. Especially right before the holidays when I was busy finishing up my thesis, I was staying up late a lot, and have found the eye drop to be a refreshing pick-me-up for my eyes when it felt strained from staring at my computer screen for too long late at night.

Rohto eye drops claim to help relieve redness, dryness, and irritation of the eyes, and contains menthol to enhance the sensation of relief, and give a "kick" to tired eyes. These "cough drops for eyes" do get a bit used to as the menthol feeling is quite strong and might be too much sensation for some people. When I first started using Rohto, I could not open my eyes for a few seconds at all because of how minty and stingy it felt upon touching my eyes! But I got used to it after a few uses. However, the effects is truly amazing. It gets rid of the redness in my eyes and turns my eyes a pure shade of white! When the whites of your eyes are bright and white, you would look more awake, even if you haven't slept for days. I also find Rohto to be a great relieve for my eye irritation when an allergy strikes. A great use for these eye drops is to apply in the morning before you put on any eye makeup, and it will help you to get rid of the redness in your eyes and make you look very awake!

The Rohto formula originated from Japan. You can find these in most drugstores, and range from about $6.99 to $8.99. A bottle will last you a long time as you only need a drop or two for each eye at once. Rohto Hydra helps to sooth eyes with extreme dryness. Rohto Arctic helps to provide long-lasting cooling sensation that revives overtired, overworked eyes while relieving redness, and is suitable for eye strain as a result of lack of sleep or prolonged computer use. Rohto Cool relieves everyday redness and dryness, and helps to "wake up" tired eyes with a gentle cooling sensation. Rohto Ice reduces redness while also sooth itch, irritation, and burn, with a more intense cooling sensation than Rhoto Cool. So in terms of coolness, Rohto Cool is the most gentle, then Ice, and Arctic, as the names suggest. After trying the other formulas, my favorite is still Rohto Cool, I don't think my eyes can take the stingy sensation of Arctic :p I would suggest you to try Rohto Cool as a starter and increase intensity if needed depending on your needs and amount of eye usage (whether if you are a computer user, read a lot, or don't get too much beauty sleep, etc).

Positives:
♥ gets rid of redness fast for that awake look
♥ soothing formula, relieves itchininess
♥ clean, simple packaging
♥ comes in a variety of cooling intensity to suit your needs
♥ inexpensive and readily available

Any negatives?
- the cooling sensation might be too much for some people
- lid snaps on and does not screw on, and sometimes I find the lid to fall out from moving around in my makeup bag

Thanks for reading!


FTC note:  I am not affiliated with the companies and did not get paid to do this review. The Softlips lipbalms and Rohto eye drops were sent to me to try for free.

16 comments:

  1. i love softlips!!! thanks for the review gotta get my hands on the new ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow didn't know soft lips come in so many different flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.....those softlips would last you a lifetime....hehe....I just saw rohto in our grocery maybe I should grab one....:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's a lot, but i can't use softlips that come with SPF....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, before I read that they sent you the soft lips, I was thinking man, when she said she liked soft lips, she meant it, she bought so many!!!! LOL. I always want to try the eye drops, but I'm no good at putting eye drops into my eye and am scurred that the I cant handle the tingling sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Softlips is great! I remember when they first released those, and it's nice to see that the brand has expanded a lot. I've been wanting to get some, but I already have so much lipbalm and chapstick already~

    I've heard a lot of good things about Rohto. It could be good for me as I wear contacts and sometimes have problems with dry or itchy, irritated eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review, I LOVE Softlips!! My fave flavor is Honeydew Melon. I've been using it for years & will continue to.
    Have a nice long weekend!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. never heard or tried this o_o wow.. japanese eyedrops are the bomb! but they kind of shock the hell out of your eyes if your not expecting it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the reviews! I really wanna try some new Softlips now! I only have trie strawberry XD Ahh, Rohto... crackdrops! I've only tried the Cool one and it's pretty strong for me :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing :) I love softlips too but I also use Blistex I'm not sure if you guys have that at US I thiink that's the best lip balm, maybe give that a try sometime too :)

    Also thanks for the Rhoto review :) I used that myself when I'm really really tied, I know the cooling sensation is a bit irritating but when I really needed that kick out of my sleepiness, those eye drops wakes up me straight away :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you have got quite a collection there! I haven't used Soft Lips in years; I might need to give them another go!

    Thanks for the review!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The soft lips will last you for at least 10 yrs hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I need to try that Pure line! I love how it comes in so many different flavors. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow it's so cool that you so many goodies to play with Lulu. Thank you for the great and thorough reviews. I went to CVS yesterday looking for Soft Lips after reading your great review but they only had cherry so I'm waiting until I stumble across the Pure line. :) So many yummy sounding flavors.

    The eye drops are super fun! They totally knock out any redness in the eye.

    P.S.
    Aww thanks for thinking about the earrings Lulu, you're so sweet. Please tell me where you guys are going to register for the wedding, I'll get you something beauty-related or useful/practical haha.

    ReplyDelete