Sunday, May 2, 2010

Weekend Recap (+ how to make homemade hotpot)

We had such beautiful weather this weekend, sunny with a light breeze, just the way I like it :) However my stupid allergy was acting up, I was sneezing the entire weekend. Has anyone else been suffering from spring allergies? It's so annoying!

Two of my good college friends visited us and wanted to celebrate my birthday. I made sushi for everyone for dinner. For dessert, they brought me a very yummy chocolate mouse cake!


Kat brought me Victoria's Secret goodies: A Sexy Little Things body mist and a Vanilla Craving Edible Shimmer Powder. The shimmer powder comes in an adorable heart shaped container, and has a matching heart shaped puff.


While fiancé was outside watering our garden, a baby squirrel came to him and followed him around, It was the most adorable thing ever!



Random buy of the weekend: a set of super cute flashcards, the smaller bear is about the size of a thumb!  Not sure what I can use them for though, but they are cute nonetheless :)



Finally, a simple how-to on homemade hotpot --

(1) You will need an electric pot, the kind that can be plugged in and be constantly heated up. For our hotpot this time, I used a pre-made hotpot seasoning packet to make it extra spicy.


(2) Chop up some green onions, garlic, put the hotpot seasoning into the pot, pour in 2 to 3 cans of chicken broth as soup base, let them boil. If you don't have hotpot seasoning, just the chicken broth is good enough too.


(3) Prepare your food. You can have anything you'd like to eat, typical food includes slided pork/beef/lamb, fishballs, rice noodles, tofu, cabbage/veggies.



(4) Prepare dipping sauce: This is also where you are free to choose the kind of sauces you like to eat your food with. I like to use a little bit of sesame oil, soy sauce, tiny bit of Chinese vinegar, sesame paste, Chinese BBQ sauce, and Sriracha hot sauce.


Mix everything together:


(5) Take a slice of meat, swish it around the boiling soup until cooked, dip into the sauce, and eat! Throw in the food you like to cook into the pot, and fish them out when they are ready. It's just that simple. We like to eat hotpot because each person can choose their favorite and cook the food themselves. It's also a great fun thing to do when you have friends over.

25 comments:

  1. happy birthday!!! the cake looks deeelish! I have used that hot pot mix before =)

    hot pot is always fun on bdays! Hope you had a great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum hot pot. .. now i want shabu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww the squirrel is so cute! XD My mom use the same hot pot mix lool! Delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The squirrel is TOO cute. I love any kind of baby animal, they're always so cute. As are those bear-shaped note cards! :)

    I love my hot pot nice and spicy! I always use the Sichuan-style soup base. And in my family I always make the sauce, they don't even know what I put in it, haha. But they love it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god, what a friendly squirrel! They're usually scared of humans no? Your fiance must have some squirrel-attracting pheromones LOL~

    Chinese BBQ sauce! You can use that on practically everything! I also have that exact vinegar bottle haha! I use it for dipping dumplings. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. the hot pot looks yummy and your bday cake is so cute! thanks for sharing the recipe..now my tummy is grumbling

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh how delicious!

    And OMG, the baby squirrel is so cute! I saw a bunch of baby duckies today too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love hotpot! the perfect healthy meal! :) hehe

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY LULU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the same exact package last month! :D I love little sheep! :D I haven't been to the restaurant yet but they're all around me somehow :p Anyway, that looks delicious! I love hot pots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake looks so yummy and so is the hotpot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen such a cute squirrel get so close to a person!! They usually annoy me, but that's adorable! The hotpot also looks great. I should do this with my family more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow great post lovely cake cute squirrel great pics i like your post

    ReplyDelete
  13. i was laughing at the sheepie.... " small fat sheep" ahh, so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Droooool! Hot pot is my most favorite thing in the world, esp spicy hot pot! That squirrel is cuute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've done weekly hotpot with friends way back when I was in China, its fun! Bonding time with girl friends and great food!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had those annoying spring allergies too..Too bad, because spring is my favourite season :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum2....can you cook for me???hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, that little squirrel is so cute! I've never seen anything like that before. Sitting on his foot ^__^ *cute* hehehe
    There are a bunch of squirrels at my Grandma's house & there are a couple baby squirrels. But they're not brave enough to come up to us. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omg, that baby squirrel! *squeals* How sweet of your friends to get you that yummy cake...nom nom nom. I'd buy those flashcards regardless too. Tee hee...too cute *^_^* Ooh girl, I can totally tell that hotpot was super spicy...whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice cake and VS goodies. did you share some of the cake with your little furry friend? haha
    ah i didn't know the little fat sheep makes the hot pot seasoning. i really like the dipper sauce there too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww the squirrel is so cute! and I love the flashcards! They are a little tiny, but they're so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had hotpot at home last night actually! And funny thing is I also have that lamb brand soup base, but haven't used it yet. Its so expensive here that the bf wants to save it for a special occasion lol. We just used Lee Kum Kee brand soup base last night which is cheaper :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. AHHH that looks delicious! You are making me hungry!

    I love the squirrel! They don't exist in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmmmm that looks so good! And you made sushi?? It's so hard to make good sushi. I must learn how to make perfect ones one day, my bf LOVES sushi.

    That little squirrel is uber cute. Good thing it met your fiance and not some scary dog or something ><

    ReplyDelete
  25. aww baby squirre! how cute! i need to hot pot with you next time:)

    ReplyDelete