Friday, July 30, 2010

Mario Badescu Products

Last month when I was unfortunately plagued with unexplainable cystic acne on my right cheek, my friendly blogger ladies on Twitter suggested me to get the Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion to try. I've been wanting to try their acne products for a while now as I've heard many rave reviews about them. So I decided to look around on their website and order a few items to try out.


It has been a while since I've used a Mario Badescu product. I was first introduced to them about two years ago when I signed up to receive their little skincare sampler pack in the mail. I also purchased the Silver Powder around that time, which was suppose to help remove stubborn blackheads and unclog pores. It worked pretty well for me for a while, but then I kind of neglected it because I got lazy with its tedious removal process -- once the powder dries on my nose, I had to use a toner to remove it, and I'd always get white residue stuck on my nose and in my pores :-/


It's been over a month since I've received my new Mario Badescu products. I already mentioned in my June Favorites about how much I loved the Buffering Lotion. It really works well to treat those deep cystic acne and promote the healing of the skin. Now that my painful red bumps on my right cheek are gone, I still keep my Buffering Lotion handy, and whenever I feel a pimple is about to emerge, I squeeze a few drops of the lotion into the palms of my hands, and dab the product onto my face, concentrating on the potential spots. The smell of the lotion might be a little off-putting to some, probably because of the sulfur in the ingredients. But it quickly goes away for me as the lotion dries on the skin.

I also ordered the Drying Lotion, also from the Acne Products line. Drying Lotion is a spot treatment made with Calamine and Salicylic Acid. Calamine helps to calm and soothe the skin while salicylic acid help to clear up blemishes and unclog pores. The Drying Lotion in the picture was all shaken up during the shipping process. But how you are suppose to use the product is to let the pink sediment settle down to the bottom of the bottle, and leave the clear liquid on top alone. Use a Q-tip to insert into the pink sediment part to grab some product, and use that to dab onto spots. The calamine smell is quite strong, but since I was going to bed with it anyway, I didn't mind it too much. This product will leave pink dots all over your face when dried, so it is definitely not something you can use during the day time. I haven't seen too much effectiveness of this product at drying pimples, but I also haven't had those types of pimples that are fluid-filled and could be popped in any second -- as I heard this product works best on those, but not on red bumpy cystic acnes. But I have friends who have used this Drying Lotion on their pimples and said it works wonders at drying those suckers up.

The Drying Lotion and Buffering Lotion definitely go hand in hand to treat their specific acne problems, and I will always make sure to have these two products stocked up in my vanity drawers.


The next product I ordered is the Control Cream. It is a blueish gel like cream that specifically works for red, rashy, flaky, and irritated skin types, such as sufferers of Rosacea and Eczema. I purchased this product not for my face, although it is intended to be a face cream. But I wanted to use it to treat my problem areas on my hands and arms that suffered from Eczema -- to help soothe the itchy dry patches. This cream contains an ingredient called Balsam Peru, which is suppose to help soothe the skin. I really liked how this cream feels on my problem areas, it absorbs very quickly, feels non-greasy, and makes the skin feel moisturized and soothed. I ordered the 0.5 oz jar, which is too small in my opinion, and I already hit pan. I should have ordered the 1 oz jar, however, the $30 price tag is making me think twice about re-ordering -- especially since I use it up rather quickly as I use the product on my body, instead of what it's meant for, the face.


The last product I ordered was the Special Healing Powder -- that contains sulfur, to help conbat oilyness and redness, and help disinfect and calm acne prone areas. It comes with a soft puff, but I didn't use the puff because it would have picked up way too much product each time, and gives my face a very scary white cast. I used a clean kabuki brush to lightly swirl some powder and dab around my T-zone. It does help with controlling the oil. I also like the fact that during a break-out, you could use this powder to help get rid of the redness, while it helps to also reduce the inflammation with its acne-combating ingredients.

Along with my order, I also got to pick some free samples -- they came in decent sized containers, and you could definitely get a few good uses out of each to help you decide whether if you want to purchase the full sized products.

I picked the Papaya Body Lotion -- doesn't the name sound yummy enough already? All I thought about was papaya smoothie when I saw the name. Its properties also drew my attention, because it contains Alpha Hydroxy Fruit Acids to help improve the skin's dull, dry texture. I haven't tried it yet -- I want to reserve the cute little bottle to take with me when I travel. Has anyone else tried this body lotion?

I also got the Olive Eye Cream to try. Sounds so rich and soothing.

Next, two masks. The Whitening Mask received very good reviews and is suppose to help brighten uneven skin tones and reduce the look of acne scars and discolorations. I have only used the mask once, but I really liked it -- it left my skin very soft and smooth after it was rinsed off. I need to use this mask a few more times -- I hope it works as it claims, to help reduce my acne scars, because I could really use some help!

The other mask is the Temporary Lift Mask. I was drawn to its claim to immediately tighten, clean and smooth the skin. It is to be used as a mask for special occasion, say the night before a date or a special event, use this mask to give your skin that "temporary" boost -- but I suppose it has no permanent benefit by using this mask? I will have to try this one out and report back to you on how well it works.

So these are my Mario Badescu haul and the some of the products that I am currently using and loving. Have you used any Mario Badescu products and have they worked for you? Which ones would you recommend to me?

10 comments:

  1. I'm still really interested in trying the drying and buffering lotion! I remember getting my sample pack ages ago! ^^ I remembered how STINKY some of the stuff was LOOL

    http://xmaterialgirlsx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I love Mario Badescu also!! The buffering lotion is awesome and so is the Healing cream and Drying cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always want to try Mario Badescu products but feel that they are too pricey. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great reviews Lulu! So many MB goodies. The drying lotion and drying cream didn't work for me either. I'm really curious about the Buffering Lotion because so many people like it and say it's good for the TOTM breakouts. Ah I might have to check it out at Ulta. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the Buffering Lotion!!! I'm almost out actually! I also like the drying cream and want to try the healing cream and healing mask...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try the Drying Lotion and Buffering Lotion! Hehe...your post reminded me that I have to do a review on the Whitening Mask. (Would love to hear your thoughts on it btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've gotten the sample pack before, and everything in it seemed to be all right. I haven't used any of it consistently, so I can't say much about it at the moment. Except for the strawberry scrub: It has strawberry seeds as the scrubbers, and while this is okay, it didn't give me the "Ah, I just lost a layer of skin! So soft~" feel.
    Oh! And one of the face masks meant for CO skin types, I liked that. Made my skin feel really soft.

    I actually went to Ulta and bought the drying lotion today, considering your review and how others say their products work well. It took be a bit to decide between that and the buffering lotion (because of the price I didn't want to buy both, heh ^^;), as it said that it works best at drying up whiteheads and that's what I get most often. So here's hoping it works!

    Oooh, that whitening mask sounds appealing...Maybe in the future I'll give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great review:)i might try Mario Badescu Drying Lotion and Buffering Lotion next. *enable me* lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi lulu! i tagged you in post! :) http://coffretgorge.blogspot.com/2010/08/ysl-rouge-volupte-in-26-tender-peach-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for this review~ :) Recently because of stress and hormonal fluctuations, I've been breaking out and alot of texture has been popping out~! ugh!!!!

    I've been trying the Aveda Outer Peace line...but it kind of made it worst! So I'm looking into other systems - including PCA Peels~ ah~ $$$!

    ReplyDelete