Thursday, November 11, 2010

Amused by the: Del Sol Color-Changing Nail Polish

While docked in Hawaii during our honeymoon, I had the chance to visit a cool little store not too far from the Nawiliwili port called Del Sol, "where everything changes color in the sun!" When I was a little kid my mom brought home a cute little t-shirt that changed color and I thought I was the coolest kid in class every time I wore it. So when I entered the store and found lots of cool color-changing products other than t-shirts, I felt like a little kid in a candy store. They had these UV lamp over their counter for you to test products out, and I was grabbing everything from the shelves to try out the colors. Of course, the product that amused me the most, were their color-changing nail polish.

Unlike the Claire's Mood-Changing nail polish that I reviewed earlier,  where the colors of the nail polish would change based on temperature. These Del Sol polishes change to a completely different shade under UV ray only. This means, even when you are behind glass and you see that it's sunny outside, the colors won't change. But as soon as you step outside on a sunny day (or even not so sunny days because UV rays are everywhere), the colors would immediately change magically!

There were so many shades of polish to choose from. Considering that they were $10 a pop, and I wasn't able to test how well they applied on my finger nails in the store, I grabbed two for myself (but now I want more!!!). Peak-A-Boo is a sheer pink shade indoors, but turns into bright coral in the sun. Ruby Slipper is a glittery silver shade indoors, but turns into a nice shade of glittery holiday red in the sun. Both shades are sheer enough to be applied on top of another regular polish, so that indoors the regular polish shows, but once outdoors, the more vibrant new color appears. The polish consistency is not too thick (even the glittery one), and very easy to apply. They also dry amazingly fast.

Here you can see all the colors that Del Sol offers and the color that each polish turns into under UV ray.

I present to you a swatch of Ruby Slipper on top of Essie Pink is the Link that I did on my nails last week:

 Essie Pink is the Link as base color.

 Del Sol Ruby Slipper on top to give the manicure a festive glittery look.


 On top of each bottle, the outdoor color would be shown on the sticker. My thumbnail next to the bottle cap is in the indoor shade behind glass.

Once stepped outside, voila! The intensity of the shade could be a lot stronger with more coats applied, here I only applied 2 coats of Del Sol polish.

Del Sol color-changing nail polishes are now officially my new favorite polishes!

15 comments:

  1. I remember those colour changing t-shirts!!! they changed according to body temperature! Now that I think about it, thank god we only wore them as kids cos uh...it might emphasis certain body parts on adults xD
    I've seen these Del Sol polishes before at my local pharmacy but refrained from buying any cos of the price tag eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty colors! always love pinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! So pink and sparkly. I saw these on the nail board and always wanted them. I wonder which sellers have them in the U.S., I hope you get more soon as they are your new favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we don't have that kind here in PH. Please post if you have more colors too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ONE Essie nailpolish.. I guess it's a decent product, but it chips so darn easily. Like literally.. it chips off on the sides even with a base coat and top coat >_<" It's not exactly a 'nail polish', but one of those 'Fill the Gap!'-ones. It's nice and lightening.. but I won't be gettin' any new now that L'oréal bought the company. At least that's what I read somewhere.. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really cool! I love the outdoor color :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoa!! I want it!! go back to hawaii and get me some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when color changing anything was fascinating to me as a kid. XD Love that NOTD, Lulu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so freaking cool!! hahah you keep introducing me to these awesome polishes xD I want to go back and buy more mood polishes, can't get enough of them! I love the color you're wearing here, so much glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my another polish that changes colors. so cool. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lulu!

    I got my JS blush from Cosme-de before they sold out. It's the best place to buy from in my opinion, they have the cheapest price and I believe I got free shipping. (And the shipping was fast).

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fun idea of layering the colors :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally awesome polish!!! I remember seeing "Del Sol" somewhere before. I think I've seen this polish around a LONGGGG time ago. I really love the glitters and that the color change is noticeable.


    <3s Serena.

    ReplyDelete