Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend

We celebrated this year's Thanksgiving east-meets-west style at a good friend's house -- we made dumplings and enjoyed a yummy turkey.

I was also pretty excited to find out that my friend is also a makeup/skincare lover like me. We chatted about all the makeup deals for Black Friday, and exchanged some of our favorite face masks. These sheet masks she gave me are made with silk woven sheets. They are incredibly soft and thin, probably the thinnest and most conforming sheet mask I have ever used. Instant love! I did a quick search online but couldn't find this anywhere, going to have to bug my friend to get me some next time she goes back to her hometown.




She also gave me an Origins Mega-Mushroom Eye Serum to try out. I hope this works well!

Hubby and I didn't really go to any in-store Black Friday sales this year, we figured we probably have a slim chance fighting through the crowd. Instead, we stayed at home and made a few online purchases. The item I am most excited about is the new camera hubby bought me, which means, better photos for my blog! :D

This is what we enjoyed that night while shopping online. Wong Fei-Hong spicy peanuts (found this in my local Asian market) is the bomb! It's got just the right amount of spice, hmm so yummy! The persimmons are fresh from father-in-law's garden. We also like to buy fresh coconut by the case, they are so yum and a healthy snack (you can scoop the flesh out with a spoon too, hmm I want some right now!)

I'll end this post with some random purchases from this weekend:

I bought this UGG Water and Stain Repellent for Sheepskin and Suedes to spray on my UGG boots so they don't get dirty from rain and dirt easily. I can't believe I have never used this until now. You just spray this all over the outside of your boots, let it air dry for a day, and then you are good to go.

This bow bracelet is from H&M, it's just too adorable I can't pass it up!

Got my Happy Meal for this cute watch! They have a collection of Sanrio characters to celebrate the 50th year anniversary. I originally wanted Hello Kitty but they were all out, but this Chococat watch is cute too :p Go get yours before they run out!

My new purse, I've always wanted a light colored purse since I have way too many black/brown ones. This one is so roomy and soft. I am loving it!

I'll end the post with our breakfast from today:
This is imitating a famous northern China street food called 天津煎饼果子(TianJing JianBing GuoZi). It is made with a crepe covered in egg mixture, and wrapped around a crispy Chinese Doughnut (You Tiao), slathered in savory sauces. This seriously brings back good childhood memories -- the first (and only) time I ever had this was a trip to Beijing when I was 6, and I remembered it till now!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving this year too, and that you scored some awesome deals from Black Friday. To my readers who are not in the US, hope you are having a relaxing and safe weekend :)

20 comments:

  1. all the food looks so good. my fave is the chococat watch! super adorable

    <3 angie
    Pandaphilia
    (ps i'm having a giveaway!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm yum yum the food pictures are making me hungry! I was up in Big Bear on Black Friday, and they don't even bother with that, so I just walked around the drugstores for a bit. They didn't have any good sales, so I left empty-handed (very rare occurrence lol). I LOVE H&M's jewelry! I saw the bow bracelet last time I was there, but ended up going with a pack of rings instead (and one of them was a bow of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM food. :)

    I didn't know you didn't know about the UGG spray! It's something my UGGs can't live/survive without. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy food!! I love you tiao!! Are you Mandarin, btw?

    And super cute bracelet!! I just found out that Canada does Black Friday sales too!! I was like O__O I thought that was only for the US...lol

    Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want me some turkeys too! I didn't celebrate Thanksgiving but the turkey looks so yummm~
    It's nice to have friends that share the same interest with us! The masks look so cute! Where did you friend get it?
    I love your purse! Looks so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm....the food looks so yummy!! I didn't know about the sanrio watches! Must go get all the watches now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy food!!! I got some sheet masks from Angelique and I have not tried them yet and need to! That is awesome that you have a friend that has the same interests as you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. really like this post and i got some beauty tips for all on our website @beautytipshub.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha i saw that bow bangle in hong kong! :) so cute!

    im glad you had a fun time with hubby, staying in was a good idea! i can only imagine how crazy people get during black friday!

    AAAAAHHH chococat is sho cute! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, online shopping is the way to go! Haha! Yummy Thanksgiving dinner, I love these kinds of Holidays when everyone gets together. So lucky you found someone in your life who shares the same interest! I have yet to find someone myself haha.

    p.s. really lovin' the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that looks good! *drools* Silk woven sheets? I bet it feels absolutely luxurious. I hope Sasa carries it soon...hee hee. :) I love your East-meets-West Thanksgiving dinner! Dumplings and turkey. I can't think of a better combo. And super cute haul as always! I esp love the bracelet and watch.

    ("that's like one rock and republic blush"...hee hee...you're so cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where are you that your Happy Meal gives such awesome toys?

    Also, I love jianbing. I used to be really great friends with a jianbing lady when I lived in China and you've totally brought back a sense of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like yo had a great weekend xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The turkey looks fantastic. It is hard to get turkey in Tokyo. And I love the cat watch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Weee so many yummy foods in one post! The fresh coconut and fruit look delicious. Those silk masks sound really good, I hope you got the name and where to buy them from your friend. Oh eye serum, looking forward to your review. The Mega Mushroom part reminds me of Mario Party LOL dorky me... I didn't go shopping on Black Friday either. ^^

    Wah I want one of those watches, my sister got the cat and frog, haven't seen the HK one yet.

    P.S.
    Thank you so much for your comment Lulu, it meant a lot. Family harmony is very important but it's so hard with 8 siblings haha. I tried to talk to her about it and she totally went off at me so that's my signal for me to put space between us. Wah sad but I'm feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow...would love to have dumplings for thanksgiving dinner...:D and raymund's been surprising me everyday with those McD's watches he puts it on my x'mas stocking whenever he arrives home..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my last blog post! My friend flew all the way to SF for the pop up tour (she's hardcore) and waited 5 hours in the rain to buy stuff! Yup, I went crazy at the gift shop! LOL. I cannot wait till i get my iphone4. I was thinking of waiting another year, but i can't wait anymore. LOL. I probably would just wait if i already have an iphone, but i just have a crappy phone right now. I hope you are doing well! <3 Rina

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lulu ~ :) I didn't get to do ANY black friday shopping. This is what happens when you don't have a car! I am coming back for break this Saturday. I'm so excited to EAT!!! There's a lack of good Chinese food in D.C. Like seriously - where my asian peeps at?? :P

    ReplyDelete