Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Review: Karmin G3 Salon Pro Straightener

Today, I want to talk about a new straightener that I received -- a Karmin G3 Salon Pro. At first I was a little hesitant to review a hair styling product because I am in no way good at styling my hair, nor do I use hair straightener often because I already have stick straight hair to start off with! I do own one hair straighter at home, and I use it once in a blue moon when I want to make my just showered hair more smooth (to get rid of kinks in my hair) or use it as a curling tool. However when I saw that Karmin G3 Salon Pro iron was ranked as one of the top hair straighteners on hairproductspro.com, I decided to give it a try. Plus it will allow me to compare my $29.99 iron that I got from Marshalls with this one (valued at $129.95).
The box it came with is a sleek black cardboard box. The box is also suppose to come with a free Heat Mat/Carrying Case Combo worth $25 with your purchase, but it wasn't in mine, so I am guessing maybe mine is a specially packaged one for review purposes only? The mat would be a really cool idea to protect your desk/vanity surface from getting burned/damaged.
 
The straightener is black and shiny, and has this super sleek and professional feel to it. It also feels really light, yet sturdy in my hand.
The straightener uses 1" wide tourmaline ceramic plates and ionic technology that will give shiny and healthy hair. It has a minimum temperature of 180F, and can reach a maximum of 450F. So you can adjust it to your desired temperature accordingly. Usually for thin hair types like mine, I never go to the highest setting because I don't want to burn my hair. But if you have thick hair that are hard to style, feel free to turn up the heat. 

Karmin plates
 
Helix by Hot Tools plates (for comparison)

What makes this Karmin straighter also a good candidate for curling hair is its special curved edge scratch resistance plates. Let me compare the Karmin plate to the Helix iron I already own. Notice how the Karmin plate is shiny, and curves around on the edge, where as the Helix one is just one thin plate that abruptly ends with a rather sharp edge? (click on the photos to enlarge) The curved edge on Karmin is what will give a kink free, smooth curl.
Once on my hair, it feels so smooth and just glides through my hair with ease. I had no idea before that a better straightener makes so much difference. I then tried with my old straighter, it didn't feel the same anymore. The plates felt like they were tugging on my hair as I dragged it through, and it also feels a bit heavier in my hands. A smooth plate means it could cause less damage and tugging on my hair, especially when you use your styling tool for curling.

Here are some of Karmin's instructions on how to create different looking styles with this one tool:
For me, I think this tool will be perfect for when I wore pony tails for the whole day, but have to change outfit and hair for a night out -- this will quickly help me to get rid of that hair tie kink in my hair for a quick style change. It will also be a good tool to bring on travel so I've got a curling iron, volumizing tool and straightener in one.

Even though I have only used one type of hair straightener before using Karmin, I have to say that Karmin is now my favorite among the two. Like I said, I am not an expert when it comes to hair styling tools, but even with the simple comparison, I now understand a good hair tool makes a big difference.

Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post, I received the Karmin hair straightener to test and review for free. I did not get paid for this post, nor am I affiliated with the company. All opinions expressed are my own honest opinion.

13 comments:

  1. Great review. I never owned a hair straightener before since my hair is already stick straight but this sounds good!! I feel like buying it just for the curling effects it gives.

    Love the instructions on how to create different styles!! I've always wanted to have some wavy hair =) Straight-haired people want curly hair. Curly-haired people want straight hair xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! It's so true that there's a big difference between a good iron and a cheap one! Now that it's winter, I try to not use my hair straightner because my hair would get all static and stuff x_x booo :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely like that it comes with clear instructions xD I wonder if there's a difference between expensive/cheap curling irons as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't like straighteners with the knob that has the degree on them. I had a hana straightener from misikko, and it was alright, but it was so slow at heating up. I still love my chi straightener though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nvr own a straightener. I assumed I had a quite straight hair. But Karmin seems a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! thanks for pointing out the little details that make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lulu! Welcome back, doll =D This straightener sounds like a dream. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review! This straightener sounds so great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great review dear. the straightener looks alright! though i'm now in a wavy mood. btw merry xmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...I wonder how it compares my ghd. I like that you can adjust the temperature. my ghd doesn't have that option.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your review! I just recently purchased the G3 and I'm curious, does your green light turn off when heated? After I turn mine on, the green light comes and goes every minute or so... I want to make sure it's not defected. Please let me know! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. For if there is interested someone I have a few to release to the selling in Ebay, do not lose the occasion!!!
    http://www.ebay.es/itm/250991692282?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the new Karmin G3 and it goes up to 460°F so it's waaaaaaay better. I love it, best $100+ I ever spent on my hair :)

    ReplyDelete