Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nail Polishes of the Month -- Introduction

Today I am starting a new series of posts for my blog, much like the "monthly favorite products" and the "used up products of the month" posts, this one will hopefully make its appearance on a monthly basis -- Nail Polishes of the Month.

It's come to my attention that as my nail polish obsession grew overtime, some of my nail polishes are not getting the love they deserve. I'd often change my manicures among a few that I really loved and ignore some of my earlier ones. I also realize that before I decide to buy a nail polish, it is often useful to Google swatches to see how they'd look on real finger nails instead of what it shows on the picture of a bottle. Even though there are already tons of awesome nail blogs, I would still like to contribute my share, and hopefully someone will find a particular swatch useful and help them to decide on a purchase. I also hope that by keeping track of all the manicures I go through in a month, these series of posts will help myself to tally up all the nail polishes I own.So by the end of the series, I will have showed all the nail polishes in my collection.

How frequently I change my nail polish totally depends on my mood and schedule. Sometimes I'd change manicure every 2 days, sometimes a week or longer. Most of the time I change manicure because my current one chipped, and because I have this bad habit of picking/peeling at my nail polishes once they are chipped (I know, so bad! But polishes have at least prevented me from picking at my own nails, an even worse habit I've had since a kid). I also admit that I am not blessed with beautiful long nails. They peel easily and are hard to grow long without breaking, even with the help of a daily dose of Biotin, and strengthening top coats. The type of work I do also sometimes tend to be extra damaging to my hands, thus the sometimes rough cuticles. But I still hope that my swatches will be helpful. I am also hoping that now knowing I'd have to post my hands on the Internet every time I change a new polish, I will be reminded to take care of my hands and cuticles better!

I actually decided to start this project in December of 2010, but never got around to editing the photos and posting them. So the next POM post will start with December + January, and then February will follow as soon as the month ends. Let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, and enjoy!

Let's end the post with a glimpse of all the polishes I will have to go through, and my nail polish organization. I used two top drawers of a 3 drawer Sterilite cart. Each drawer is tall enough so polish bottles could stand upright. I read somewhere that it is not a good idea to store nail polishes sideways because over time polish could seep through the cap and dry out and shut the top closed. I also placed smaller baskets in there so I can further organize the polishes by shades. The top drawer contains base and top coats, sheer polishes or glittery ones that look best when added on top of another polish. The basket beneath that has some black/brown/grey/yellow/green/blue shades that I could only wear on the weekends because they are not work appropriate. I own a lot of pink/coral/red shades because I tend to sway toward those colors when I buy nail polishes, and also they are the ones that are more office appropriate. So the whole second Sterilite drawer contain these shades.

9 comments:

  1. omg same about several things in this post! first, that my nail polish stash has sort of grown and grown w/out me realizing it, I never used to be much of a polish person. and second that I have that same bad habit of picking at my polish once it starts to chip, plus my nails aren't naturally long and strong. I usually change up my manicure every single day, usually 3 days max if I really love it lol, I get bored easily! Anyways, I'm excited to see this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant wait to see your favorite nail lacquers Lulu! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you have a lot ! Can't wait to see more of the in depth details of your faves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo yea!! i can't wait!! i've been waiting! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG so many polishes! Can't wait to see all the polish favorites. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Can't wait to read your posts (=

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first when I came upon the first photo I was like "Ooh! Pretty good amount of nail polishes" Note that I own hardly any :P And THEN I scrolled to your next pic and realized that you had A LOT more haha!
    My nails are brittle too. So weak and useless. And when I think about the true purpose of nails (which I'm sure is similar to what claws are for animals) I can't help but conclude that my attack and defence sucks period.

    ReplyDelete