Saturday, September 3, 2011

Review: Dermelect Nail Recovery System

Being a nail polish addict means that I change nail polish more frequently than I probably should have, and I also should have probably given my nails more breaks in between nail polish change to let them breathe and recover, but I was just always too anxious to brush on the next newest shade in my stash. As a result, my nails often have that hideous yellow tint when I don't wear polish to cover it up. I also unfortunately have naturally thin, brittle nails that peel and break off so easily, which makes them so hard to grow long. I've tried all sorts of nail strengthening coat, nail thickener, magical potion that claims to make nails grow fast, Biotin...you name it...I am constantly on the look out for the next best aid to my nail problems. This issue became an even greater problem this past week because I have gotten gel nails done recently for a wedding, and my nails suffered greatly from the procedure -- thin, soft, peely, and uneven.
The sad states of my poor nails.

Soft Surroundings came to the rescue and sent me a set of Dermelect Nail Recovery System to try out.
It is a nail regimen that contains ProSina Keratin Peptide and Pentavitin Moisture Magnet. While I can't say that I know exactly what these words mean, the product description gave me exactly what I am looking for (click to enlarge):
Perfect for hard to grow, thin, weak, brittle, chipping, splitting, discolored, uneven and contain grooves and ridges, acrylic damaged nails. Hello!!! I think Dermelect is calling out MY name!

The Dermelect system comes with 4 full sized products:
· Launchpad Nail Strengthener, an anti-aging base coat delivering protein peptides to the nails restoring strength and flexibility.
· Makeover Ridge Filler, a natural pink hue that cleverly conceals while treating unsightly nail ridges and discoloration.
· High Maintenance Instant Nail Thickener increases nail thickness up to 50% with a single coat, extending the life of your manicure. Also utilizes a UV absorber to prevent polish colors from fading and yellowing.
· Rejuvenail Fortifying Nail & Cuticle Treatment the first anti-aging nail cream using peptides, hyaluronic-acid, shea butter and vitamins to restore moisture and nutrients.

The product I was most excited about is the cuticle cream. I have just recently learned the importance of cuticle cream and after religiously applying cuticle creams to my nails daily for the past few weeks, I was amazed at what a difference it made. The only issue I have with most cuticle creams are how greasy they feel, so I only would apply them at night before I sleep, otherwise I will make everything I touch greasy.
When I tried out the Dermelect Rejuvenail Fortifying Nail & Cuticle Treatment, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it was for this to absorb into my cuticles and it didn't even feel greasy at all. It comes in a very decently sized 1 oz. plastic jar, with a thick cream consistency. Once applied, it has a faint floral scent, but not overwelming at all. It really makes my nails and cuticles look fresh and healthy instantly. I give this a big thumbs up and will continue to use this every day!
My nail with Makeup Ridge Filler and the cuticle cream -- what a difference it makes!

Dermelect Makeover Anti-aging Ridge Filler comes in a 0.4 fl oz glass bottle with a brush just like a bottle of nail polish. It has a slight pale pink color and contains fine shimmer. It acts as both a concealer to hide the yellow tint on the nails, and to make the nail surface smooth for nail polish application later. Think of it as a nail polish primer, and it worked very well as one! The ridges I have on my nails were smoothed out once a thin layer of this product was applied and dried. The pink hue makes my nails look brightened and healthy. When you are not in the mood for nail polish, I would totally wear this alone (and maybe a top coat to give it more shine) to give my nails a little bit of a "makeover". Thumbs up for this ridge filler as well, although I have no prior comparison as this was my first bottle of ridge filling product. I am aware that a lot of other brands also make ridge fillers, and I would be interested to get my hands on those one day and compare!
My nail with Makeover Ridge Filler, prior to applying cuticle cream, hence the dried up cuticle that is clearly visible in this picture. But the nail bed looks healthy and smooth, doesn't it?

The 3rd product is a Launch Pad Anti-Aging Base Coat. This could be used with the Makeover ridge filler interchangeably. I suppose if you don't have ridge or discolored nails, then you can just use Launchpad as a base coat. What a cute name it has! It is suppose to give your nails strength. I didn't quite like this one as much as the Makeover, mainly because of the blue tint it gives my nails, so for days when I just wanted to wear a base coat + top coat without any colored polish in between, I would not choose Launchpad.

Last but not least, High Maintenance Anti-Aging Top Coat. This looks just like your regular clear top coat that gives a clear high shine finish to your manicure. What's special about this top coat is that it also acts as a nail thickener. I enjoy using nail thickeners as part of my manicure every time because it does add strength dramatically on my weak, thin nails. This is no exception. I feel that once my nails are protected with a thickener/strengthener, then they won't break as easily, and this will allow my nails the chance to grow longer and stronger. My only complaint about High Maintenance is that it has a slow drying time, or perhaps it's because I am so used to how fast Seche Vite dries, but you do have to be patient with it. I accidentally put a nick on my nails while waiting for the top coat to dry.

Overall, I really enjoyed the Dermelect Nail Recovery System, and I think it is a great set to have when you have problematic nails like me and want them to be healthy, longer and stronger. The system will harden your nails while they regrow, and because all the products contain helpful ingredients for your nails, it will make recovery more speedy.  I will continue to use this system and keep updating on my nail growing progress. I had gotten my nails pretty long already with rigorous care right before my gel nails, but now that I have taken the gel nails off and cut my natural nails all short again, I am going to start over, this time with Dermelect's help on top of my nail care regimen that I am already doing (cuticle oil often, Biotin/multivitamins, etc.), and hopefully I will have the beautiful long nails that I have always dreamed of!

Thank you Soft Surroundings for sending me this product to try out. I really appreciated their timely response and taking extra care to pack my package so nicely.


Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post, I received the Dermelect Nail Recovery System to test and review for free. I did not get paid for this post, nor am I affiliated with the company (Dermelect or Soft Surrondings). All opinions expressed are my own honest opinion.

5 comments:

  1. Aw so sorry to hear about the nail troubles. I heard gel nails are damaging to take off and sorry you had to go through that.

    Thanks for the thorough reviews. The Dermelect cuticle treatment sounds great and your nails have recovered nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEED something like this! My nails are still crap after giving up on acrylics after several years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nails are exactly like yours--thin, brittle and soft. I can just bang my hand against something and my nail will break. This system sounds like it's a good set to have. Your nails looked really nice at the end.

    *Kat*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've found something that works! :D I don't have the problem of brittle and dry nails (only coz i hardly ever paint my nails) but thanks for the review! Will definitely look into getting this when I get gel/acrylic nails done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The before and after pics are amazing! I need to take better care of my nails too. These babies go through a lot. =\

    (That's what I'm talking about!! ;)

    ReplyDelete